Job vacancy: Senior Manager within Strategy, Policy & Innovation
Job code: SPI/012/2020
About Strategy, Policy & Innovation:
The Strategy, Policy, and Innovation function is responsible for providing advice, analyses and reviews on current and prospective strategies and policies related to key priority areas. This is done through the formulation and implementation of policies that will strengthen Malta’s framework for the regulation of financial services and implementing policy projects in line with the MFSA’s strategy and vision. It also proposes new areas which could potentially be delved into by the MFSA and provides insight on how related frameworks may be developed, whilst fostering innovation and enhancing access to financial products. The function is also responsible for the implementation of the MFSA’s FinTech Strategy, which aims to establish Malta as an international FinTech hub, supporting and enabling financial service providers to infuse technology in product and service offerings.
The selected candidate will have the opportunity to be innovative within an evolving environment, whilst tacking a challenging and varied, cross-sectoral portfolio of work. The candidate will be:
- Leading a team handling strategy and policy projects and related ongoing cross-sectoral policy work;
- Providing input to the Head of Function in setting yearly goals for the Function and also in relation to the development of proposals related to key priority areas which may be tapped into by the MFSA, in line with the Authority’s strategy and vision;
- In constant liaison with the Authority’s Legal, EU, and International Affairs Function, as well as other Governmental bodies and act as the main contact point to facilitate communication channels;
- Representing the MFSA in EU and international fora and engage with other competent authorities, as necessary;
- Responsible for resource allocation and the coordination of team projects;
- Responsible for the policies and procedures of the Function;
- Proactively leading, coaching and managing the members of the team, providing leadership and direction;
- Acting as a mentor to the members of the team to achieve their professional and development goals;
- Undertaking other tasks as delegated by the Head and the Office of the Chief Officer, Strategy Policy and Innovation.
- We are looking for enthusiastic candidates who would like to apply their work experience and solid academic background in Law/ Accountancy/ Insurance/ Banking and Finance, to legal and policy matters relating to the various sectors falling within the remit of the MFSA. Candidates would be expected to have a good understanding of financial services legislation and related regulatory framework. Possessing a warrant to practice as a lawyer in Malta would be considered an asset;
- In addition, the selected candidate is expected to have sound leadership and people management skills and excellent prioritisation skills, with the ability to define priorities and provide a quality contribution where it is most needed;
- The chosen candidate is expected to be a confident individual who is flexible and dynamic, having a critical and analytical mind-set. The individual is required to have excellent oral, written, and presentation skills. Candidates would be expected to demonstrate an ability to identify and exercise judgment, in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team. In addition, strong relationship and negotiating skills and an ability to work collaboratively at senior levels internally and externally are also essential;
- The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at the National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level;
- You will also possess a minimum of eight (8) years working in the area of financial services, with solid experience in financial regulation;
- If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least fifteen (15) years of relevant experience in a similar related role, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage . Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.